Customer service has always been the cornerstone for good business practices, and while this is something everyone should understand inside and out, it never hurts to get back to basics to ensure quality and success. Here are a few tips for stellar customer service:
1. Know your product. This should be a no-brainer but you’d be surprised how many people are so focused on just making the sale that this part is easily overlooked. If you don’t know the ins and outs of your offering, how will you help customers make the right choices?
2. Listen. Beware of making assumptions. While you may think you have a clear idea of what the customer wants, take the time to ask questions and concentrate on what the customer has to say. Effective listening and providing your undivided attention are extremely important.
3. Wield the power of “yes”. If the customer makes a request (within reason), the answer should always be a resounding yes. Continually look for ways to help them and make doing business with you easy. And, most importantly, always follow through on your promises.
4. Go the extra mile. You should always be thinking of ways to elevate your company or product above that of the competition. What can you provide customers that others cannot? How can you really wow existing customers, and even those that ultimately don’t buy? Set yourself apart.
5. Feedback. Feedback. Feedback. This goes back to really listening to your customers. Encourage input from them regarding what they loved about their experience, as well as suggestions on how things could improve. Use this feedback to continually evolve and improve your offerings and methods.